Friday, September 7, 2007

Farewell to Summer

Well, we officially said so long to summer last week when we deflated the kiddie pool and cracked open the books. I wanted the Things to have a happy transition into the new school year (when you don't go shopping for new sneakers and a Hannah Montana backpack, well, you just gotta do something!), so we did a couple of things to make the summer good-bye a little less painful.

The first item wasn't exactly fun (ok, it was our first piece of memory work), but I thought it captured, so nicely, the fond memories of our recent vacation to Lake Michigan.
At the Sea-Side
by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup.
In every hole the sea came up,
Till it could come no more.
The spade is now plastic, but some things never change.


No comments: